Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thomas the School Boy

The Incident

*I had done the school post below, but then this happened, so I'm just adding it on top.*

So Thomas came home from school and was just acting weird. He was hiding behind the couch for a while and I thought maybe he had been crying. When I asked him what was the matter he told me he wanted to move back to America. I asked why. He went on to tell me that a big kid at school (I've seen this kid, and he is BIG) hit him on his lip because Thomas wouldn't give him some of his lunch. He also went on to say that this bully had been taking food from him for a long time. That flipped my bitch switch on (although I'm quite sure you're all aware that that switch is never off).

So this morning I loaded the kids up in the car to drive Thomas to school and take care of this. I went to the office-- but the principal was out. The secretary suggested talking to Thomas' teacher. This is where I should have taken a moment to reflect on what might happen. But I didn't. I went up there and didn't find the teacher-- but what do you know? I saw the bully. And I attacked.

Let's just cut down to it and say that no, I won't be going to jail, but yes, I think Thomas will be fine now.

Hell hath no fury... like a protective mother.

(below) Thomas with his latest certificate.


Every Friday there's a parade at Thomas' school. I have no idea why they call it a parade, because it is B O R I N G. Basically all the kids sit on the hard cement (yes, that's the whole school sitting down) and be quiet while the Mr. Rogers-look-alike principal drones on and on.

If the kids have been good they get a certificate-- and you can see Thomas has gotten a couple. In some of the pictures you can see Thomas' class did a performance.

I'm pretty sure that all schools in Australia wear uniforms. Every once in a while they have a free dress day. I don't know why they call it a free dress day, because you have to pay to do it. That's why in some of the pictures the kids are wearing normal clothes. It's funny because I thought it would be nice to have my kids go to a school with uniforms, but man am I hating it now.


(below) Can you tell which one is Thomas? It might be hard because there's another boy near him who also wears glasses and looks similar to Thomas.


(below) Can you believe Thomas? He had a free dress day and he actually chose to wear his church clothes! Silly boy. PS-- see the kid on the right? That's the bully!



These pictures below are from sports day. The school splits into two houses-- Stinson or O'Reilley, and compete. Thomas was in Stinson, which is good, because I'd rather have him wear blue than orange. Ha ha. Plus Stinson won.





(below) Thomas is the third blue shirt from the left.





This is Penny helping Jason paint some lines for the school work day while Jason's dad and Thomas look on.

12 comments:

Mandy said...

Allison I stalk your blog regularly and you always make me laugh...Your kids are adorable:)

Jamie Sue said...

Haha, "bitch switch"!! I've never heard that one before--too funny! Anyway, good for you, taking care of the bully situation.

Jamie Sue said...

Don't be fooled, we really don't have that much fun, unless Casey's home, he's the fun one. I am a boring mean mom. Seriously, Hunter told me the other day, "Mom, you're mean to me, but I don't hate you!" Thank GOODNESS for that! And then one day Sydney said, "Mom, Grandma is NOTHING like you--she's never on her computer." Casey's mom is so cool and if I were anything like her, I'd be doing something right in my life. But I'm not, I live on my computer--seriously it's unhealthy--which is why I know when you post, cause I see it show up on Google Reader. Oh, and I don't listen to much country anymore, but I do love Tim McGraw. Look at my playlist, that's most of the stuff I listen to.

S. Fantasia said...

Awesome. That would be my first thought - find the little A-hole and tell him what EXACTLY I will do to him if I hear that he has messed with my boy again. Then I'd take his lunch. Haha.

Way to go, you!

Mauzy Fam said...

Oh my gosh!! Good for you to scare the heck out of that little thief!! Poor Thomas. I loved seeing all those school pics too. How funny that Thomas chose church clothes - he sure looks handsome though.

Jonathan and Sarah said...

Allison- You are the funny one! The things that I say are actually things I would say. I told Jonathan the quarter story and I said the same thing to him. I love reading your comments because I love the fact that you think I'm funny. So what did the teacher say when you tried to talk to her? LOL, I can't believe you talked smack to a little bully... I probably would too. ;)

CS Fenn said...

We want details! What did you say to the kid, what was his reaction (did he pee himself?), did anyone from the school find out, did you get in trouble? What a punk. I can't believe poor Thomas was being bullied like that! I would've gone crazy on him too. You should still talk to the principal so his parents hear about it. The little jerk! PS. I hope you did the "helicopter punches" on him! (This was Allison's favorite fighting technique as a kid - to swing both arms all around so it was hard to get close enough to her to shut her down)

Melissa Robinson Wichmann said...

Ohhh man. THAT flipped my bitch switch too. Sounds like you handled it alot better than I would've. I would have STRANGLED that kid, and then for real, be in jail. Good for you for defending Thomas and letting him know that you take his life/feelings/situations seriously! That's like with our kittens being stolen. At least Haley KNOWS that I take her feelings seriously. You are such a good mom! Good for you!

Cottrells said...

GO MAMA BEAR!

The Gooding Family said...

Way to take control, Alison! I want to know details, too, what did you say to him?! Poor Thomas. I bet NOBODY that heard or saw that is going to mess with him.

allison said...

i posted this, but i'm going to remove it so i'll just explain really quick what i said. my hand was in 'mother mode': meaning i was pointing at him while moving it up and down. you mothers know what i mean. i told him to stop taking thomas' food and to stay away from him. i repeated myself a couple of times to make sure he understood. that was pretty much it. i felt bad-- like i was being a bully myself, but hopefully he learned not to mess with my kid.

Emily Weber said...

Good for you! I probably would have wailed on the kid! And I love the picture of penny on the beach rocks (she looks like she's a little mermaid!).