Sunday, December 7, 2008

Aussie Tooth Fairy

Here's another post that I should have done ages ago. I think these are from August. Thomas lost some teeth, and like he's always done, he decorated the envelope that he puts his tooth in. He always does a good job-- but I loved this one. At first he put on there that he wanted 50 $2, but when I told him how much that was, he changed it to 6 50 cents. Funny kid.

Here's pictures from two teeth that he lost.








When I was putting these pictures together, I thought maybe I'd write about Australian money.

Their bills are plastic, and they come in 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100. Anything above that my poor eyes haven't seen. You can tell in the pictures that there's a see-through area on them. One thing I think is smart is that their bills are different sizes and colors. One time I was exchanging some money at the bank here and the teller asked me how visually impaired people could tell the difference between our notes. Before that I never even thought about it.

Their coins come in 5, 10, 20, and 50 cents, one dollar, and two dollar. Not a smart idea. So many coins! The wallets are made different here to accomodate all the coins. It's just a pain to always have so many coins. AND! What's their problem with pennies??? Oh, and they don't have names like nickel or dime-- they just call them 5 cent or 10 cent pieces. Bor-ing.

Okay, I'll let you all know how stupid I am. I knew that they didn't have pennies, so I was confused in the stores when I saw so many prices ending with cents other than 5 or 0. I didn't know that they just total everything together and then round up or down. So there you go: Allison the dunce.

5 comments:

Didion 6-Pack said...

I just left a comment and it's not on here! I'm going to feel dumb if it shows up and I have two. So delete one if that happens, K? I loved this post! Money is so cool! I love money from different places. But I disagree with you about Pennies!! I HATE THEM! They are the biggest pain. I've always said, why don't we just do away with them and start rounding off??? So I'm glad there are some smart people like me Down Under!!! The envelope to the tooth fairy was adorable!! What a little artist! Very cute boy.

CS Fenn said...

Thomas is awesome, we really miss him! And I don't think what you said makes you dumb at all! I think their system is dumb! I mean really - if they're going to round it up anyway, what's the point of having it end in anything other than 0 or 5? I get your thinking, girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Cool. That was educational. It's a good point about visually impaired people having a hard time with bills that are all the same size. But different sized bills are so hard to stack, pile, or wad neatly. And, plastic? Interesting.

TGS said...

Nerdy job on the coin slide show, you look like a coin collector, snort snort.

Melissa Robinson Wichmann said...

Thomas' decorated envelope for the tooth fairy is SO CUTE! Haley does that too, and I just love it. I can't for our kids to meet and be friends!

That's interesting about the money. Seems like the Australian way is simpler. You are so exotic living the Aussie life! Wink. LOL. You know I'm joking and I love you!