Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Eye Spy Bag Instructions

A couple of you asked for the instructions to these eye spy bags. I meant to post this sooner so you could do some for Christmas. And of course, the one time that I actually take pictures through the whole process-- I manage to eff things up. I got so frustrated, and I'm pretty embarrassed posting these pics even after all my mistakes, but whatever. My brain doesn't function properly on this side of the world. But as frustrated as I get even thinking about how much I messed up, I promise not to cuss.

Anyway-- the bags I made were for Christmas. I don't think you can really tell from the pictures, but I think I found some pretty cute things to go in there that had to do with Christmas. I found some cute babies in the baby shower section at Walmart. He worked perfect as baby Jesus. I held on to a sacrament cup at church, and it's held up so far, but I'll let you know how it does long term. After Christmas last year I bought a ton of tiny Christmasy things on clearance (gotta love clearance). If you really are interested in what all I put in there I'll send you a list-- but I'm sure you're all clever enough to come up with plenty on your own.

I haven't always sewn the list on there, but I did these past times and I think it was fine. I get paranoid about things happening to kids' eyes, which is why I haven't used a list before. But I rounded the corners of the laminate. So there.

Okay-- so cut the fabric in six inch squares. Cut a 3 1/2 inch square out of one side. Cut a 4 inch square out of vinyl. It is vinyl, right? You know what I'm talking about anyway. I've heard of some people using a clear shower curtain, but I don't see the point in that when you can just grab some in whatever thickness you want at Joanns.

I hope I'm clear in the pictures and descriptions. No offence, but I tried to dumb it up a little-- just so you would understand. It's not that late right now, but my brain is done with thinking. I'll read this again tomorrow morning to see if it makes sense.

This is why I love doing these bags: I love small things. And yes, this container really is full of tiny things. So much fun. I usually put 30-40 trinkets in the bags. I always put a couple things in there that they'll really have to search for. Try to use different textures just to liven things up. :)

I bought this at Micheals in the doll stuffing section. Use about a cup to fill each bag. Give or take.

I liked Penny's. But I have to point out that instead of a straight stitch to secure the vinyl, I tried to use a heart pattern. Not a good idea. Don't know if it's just because it's hot here or what, but the vinyl kept sticking to the machine, so instead of hearts, they were just weird designs. Oh well.


I liked the look of this fabric, but it was absolute crap to sew with. Don't know what the deal was. The fabric I used with Penny's worked well. The Halloween fabric I used worked well, but since it's flannel (or whatever it's called) it's thicker. When the fabric is thicker, you don't need to use quite as much filler because it's harder to move around. The thinner fabric you could even use a bit more. You'll get the hang of it.

I usually pin the vinyl in place, but this time I had the genius idea to just tape it. It seemed to work a little better-- but just see what works for you.

After you straight stitch it, cover the raw edge with a zig zag stitch. You may notice on the finished pictures that I forgot to do that on the green one. Rats.

I told you I was dumbing it up. Just remember when you start to sew not to start in a corner, because it's a pain to hand stitch a corner shut. FYI. Leave about 1 1/2 inches open so you can turn it the right way and then funnel in the doll filler and then toss in the trinkets.

The fabric wasn't cooperating and I realized I forgot to sew in the list. Poopy. But I'm still not actually cussing.

Ah ha! I remembered the list this time.

Finally finished. See how horrible the corner looks? Son of a goat. And of course this is the one I forgot to zig zag.

I put the train in there for the Polar Express. Can you see the Santa cap? How cute is that? Micheals and Hobby Lobby have these bags of buttons that have so many cute buttons in them. Love those things.

Crappy finished picture. The green thing says Jingle. You can see baby Jesus in the top right. This is the one that I forgot to sew the list in, but I sewed it on after.

Have fun, and I want to see YOUR finished projects.

16 comments:

gena said...

Those are so cute! I don't think I have the time or patience for something that tedious.

Mauzy Fam said...

I'm scared, but I think I'm gonna try it - someday, when I feel up to it.

TGS said...

My mom made me one last year, but didn't put the list on there. she said we had to figure out what and where everything was and write it down. how cheap is that???!

Unknown said...

Am I the only one that busted out laughing at you flipping of the fabric.

CS Fenn said...

Nope, I laughed too. And then I was looking at how long Allison's fingernails are and wondering how she got them that long.

Jason said...

i know! isn't that crazy? know what it is? sin of all sins: i've given up milk. sad but true. the witch doctor told me i was too congested, so to cut my milk out. i'm not congested anymore, so that's good. but because i stopped milk i started calcium pills. voila: long nails.

Mandy said...

K, those instructions are like 5 steps too long for my attention span...and this was the dumbed down version?! with step-by-step pics even! You made it look much easier than it really is! Can I just place an order rather than make my own? :)

Didion 6-Pack said...

Yes I was laughing out loud at you giving that corner shot the bird. I can't believe everyone's comments aren't telling you how hilarious you are! Always keepin' it real! I needed to smile this morning and your blog was the perfect rememdy. When you come back this way Bob & I want to go out with you you two. Lighten us up, baby. Sell the bags with your embroidered stuff - they're so cute for kids. Heck I even look at them when I'm bored in church.

Melissa Robinson Wichmann said...

Man, I love you! I sooo LOVE that you have the balls to post the picture of you flipping the bag off. THAT right there, is why we are such best friends. LOL

OK, but seriously. Ya, that was the dumbed-down version?! I'd like tp place an order too. For real!

You are too funny!

Jopes said...

you could probably make some cash out of that stuff, have you thought of making some of your crafty things and then selling them at weekend markets. Jimboomba and Beaudesert have good markets. some people go crazy over that kind of stuff and i recon it would be pretty unique for these parts,

allison said...

who are you jopes?

Jonathan and Sarah said...

So when are you headed back to the love shack?? That'll be nice to be close to family. Especially for the kids to be around their other grandma and get to know her better! Well let me know and we will plan a trip to come visit!!!

Jopes said...

It's your brother in law, the good looking one

Jason said...

damn joe-- you scared me. i thought i had a stalker or something.

Bonnie Mills said...

You CRACK me UP!!! I would never try to make those and totally think you're amazing for doing it! Keeping it real and a little obscene...I love it!! Miss you!

Keeley said...

merry christmas allison. and a happy new year!
keeley